Wednesday, November 23, 2016
Week 1
For my genius hour, I am learning how to play the guitar.
My first week was pretty successful. I learned all of the major chords, and I was able to memorize them. (For the most part) I looked up the main chords on google images, and used that to learn, and memorize them. The F chord however, was giving me grief. It requires one to do a barre chord (hold all of the strings down) on the first fret, with just one finger. For my little weak fingers, it is impossible for me to do that chord properly. Every inversion of that chord that I could find, still involved a smaller barre chord, and it was still hard for my little finger. I thought I could just avoid the chord all together till my fingers got stronger, but it was used in every song I wanted to play, so I had to learn it one way or another.
I searched all over Google, watched millions of YouTube videos, but found nothing. Finally, I found video that had three different inversions of the F chord. I almost stopped watching the video because the first two were still too complicated for me, but the video had only two more minutes left, so I sucked it up, and continued watching. Thank goodness I did, because I learned a way that I could play it without causing too much discomfort to my little finger.
It was a miracle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Makenna, I find this blog very relatable and fun. I took guitar lessons off and on in junior high and it does get tiring for those fingers! I know you are going to rock this project and I can't wait to see how you grow.
ReplyDeleteI am curious are you using a pick to strum?
No, I am mostly just using a finger picking pattern, so I haven't used my picks much yet!
Delete