Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Week 3



For my third week, I learned the strumming style of the song that I am going to play.


Originally, I was going to use a basic strumming pattern for my song, but it didn't flow as well as if I just learned the strum that was used for the song originally. I couldn't learn the strum just from listening to the song over and over again, so I decided to go to YouTube and see if there were any tutorials on how to play the song.


I soon found a tutorial from Manuel Rottach where he taught me the strumming pattern and some other needed tips of the song. 


Now I am just practicing the song over and over. Later on, I may add some percussion with my strumming, but we'll see! 


8 comments:

  1. I think that it's awesome that you're learning how to play the guitar! Out of curiousity, what are the different strumming styles that you are using and how do they change the sound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Hope, I was never able to make a video to answer your question, but I will be showing the different sounds that different strums create, during my TED Talk.

      Delete
  2. Percussion? Mixed with strumming? Strumming styles?! Sounds complex. All my preconceptions about the guitar have been shattered... Do you spend time outside class playing guitar? Seems like quite a bit of learning going on. Can't wait to hear you play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do spend a lot of outside of class time practicing. I practice mostly everyday after school! I don't think adding percussion will work with this new strumming style, so I won't be doing that haha, but a lot of people do it to spice up whatever song they're playing!

      Delete
  3. I have enjoyed reading your blog posts! I would like to know how long you have been wanting to play the guitar or if it is just a recent interest. I am very excited to hear you play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. When I was younger i started learning, but it was very short lived. This time I WILL be keeping up with the practicing :)

      Delete
  4. Makenna I used to play cello and I know how difficult it can be to perfect a song or at least play it to where I was comfortable with my sound! Playing instruments takes time so I'm glad that you picked this as your genius hour and I love the updates on your journey to playing us a song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You USED to play the cello?? Why don't you play anymore?? I think the cello is one of the most beautiful instruments in the world!! If you can, you should pick it up again! I would love to hear you play, if you do! :)

      Delete